About Me

Who Am I? Family of 3 adults plus 1 pet kitty on 1 income trying to live like I have an unlimited budget & I have to STOP!!!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Ménage à trois of Meatloaves



Photobucket

Remember growing and eating mom's meatloaf once a week with mashed potatoes and some kind of veggie side dish and if it was a special dinner mom would add biscuits.

My mom was the kind that always made meatloaf the same way ground meat,liption onion soup mix packet, 1 egg, milk as needed and crumbs of some kind.

As I got older I to made meatloaf the same way until I was unable to use those cute little packets of Lipton's due to MSG plus the cost really ad's up!!! So I grabbed an onion diced it and was happy w/ that.



I have tried another meatloaf recipe from AR Site Brown Sugar Meatloaf that had great reviews we loved it but I want to try yet again another one well I couldn't decided on which one...from the site... So I picked 3 different ones and decided to make mine into muffin size with those 3 recipes.



Unfortunately,
My camera battery decided today of all day's to kick the bucket so much for nice pictures to go with this blog. I have a few pictures..


Let's get started
with the 3 that I picked!!!



But first I have also need to talk about a new ingredient I decided over 6 month ago to try that has been taking up space in my pantry just waiting to be used in this type of recipe... what is it your asking yourself right??

TVP!!! Your most likely going what the heck is that? Well let me explain as well as give you a few links to review about this along w/ recipe ideas to use
TVP =Texturized vegetable protein AKA textured soy protein


ALL ABOUT TVP
BOB'S RED MILL TVP


TVP

For my family of 3 person family to make meatloaf I normally needed 2 pounds per meal this allowed for leftover's for lunch the next day trying to stretch every meal as much as possible & without waste I had purchased the TVP to add to meatloaf in place of 1 pound of meat :O) since TVP was under $3.00 a bag at my local Sprouts which is a health food type store here and I it didn't need to be frozen or anything just stick it on the pantry shelf.

Step 1

Turn oven to 350 *F

Soak 1 cup of TVP in 1 cup of bowling water or broth in the 4th large bowl for 5-10 mins.

Grab muffin liners & muffin trays I used foil type in-case they decided to get to greasy/leaky and sprayed w/ PAM but you could use a pastry brush w/ oil as I have done this before as well to grease the cups.

Step 2

3 bowls to put each meatloaves ingredients & measured all the ingredients for each batch into there bowls.

Used my mini food processor to mix these ingredients up well and also to extra finely chop the apples and pickles since my dd is picky..


Step 3

In a 4th bowl with the TVP went 1 pound of thawed ground turkey.

Mix these 2 items together WELL.

Then divide the mixture evenly into those other 3 bowls and mix those up well.


Step 4

1/4 cup per muffin cup for each mini loaf I was able to get between 6-8 per batch.

They shrunk so don't worry about drip-age unless you use BEEF or Pork Meat in place of Turkey.

If you use any sauce type topping like BBQ or Ketchup you will have drip-age.


Step 5

Baked 45 mins as dd loves her meatloaf over baked & crunchy out the outside.


STEP 6
FREEZE LEFTOVERS!!!


DD & I would normally only eat 2 muffins per meal so the rest went to the freezer for quick dinner grabs later in the month currently we have now 6 meals in the freezer and it only took a few extra mins to prep & cook a large batch over a small batch.




VERDICT ON THE 3 MEATLOAVES!!!

Cheesey Apple Oatmeal Meatloaf -Nice taste will make again :O)

Meatloaf with a Ranch Twist- too sweet w/ brown sugar

Dill Pickle Meatloaf- No pickle flavor like we assumed would be there however it has a nice flavor and we will make again. :O)


DD & I would normally only eat 2 muffins per meal so the rest went to the freezer for quick dinner grabs later in the month currently we have now 6 meals in the freezer and it only took a few extra mins to prep & cook a large batch over a small batch.






No comments:

Post a Comment