- Get a blank calendar (under my file share I post a quick one that you can use)
- Do a food inventory of all food in the house and there locate ( freezer, 1 st cabinet etc ) this will help you use up food you already have first as you plan the other meals.
- Decide what meals your family likes to eat that you can freeze. (7-10 recipes) Examples : Tacos, Lasagna, Hamburgers, Meatloaf, Baked Ziti, etc
- Then create a shopping list that works for you. (Mine I break down Wal-Mart and Dollar Store I go to Wal-Mart first then to the Dollar Store I pretty much purchase the same items every shopping trip so I have that worked out.)
- Pick a day to go shopping by your self, then set your prep day next then your cook day with no family in the way just you baking and dinner being ordered.
- The first time I did this I only used a Toaster oven, Crockpot, Skillet, Food Processor so you can do it better and quicker then I did .
- Figure out which recipe you may need to cook in the crockpot ( 10 chicken breast for 4 meals using shredded chicken)
- Review some of the websites I have listed hit the local Libraries for books
- Variety so we decide the night before what meal will be thawed the for dinner the next day
- You will also stretch your budget some if you decide once a week to eat out you will still have 4 meals extra :) or if you planned to have Taco's and went to your friends BBQ now you have an extra meal.
- See Sample Menu this may assist you understanding (under my file share)
- Don't stress when your first meal plan goes haywire or a meal you planned didn't work as planned trial and error that is why do meals you like and know and maybe 1 meal a week can be a New Recipe Trial & Error Night not 7 nights of that.:)
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Beginning Tips to Once a Month Cooking.
These are the tips I found that helped me.