The beans are 16 oz (1 lbs) for 49 cents a bag I saved 51 cents per bag as I usually buy them at the dollar store. I am the only one in the family that really loves beans:) It takes a lot of time to cook regular beans usually 12-24 hours. So I decided to surf the net and I located a few tips/trick along the way to assist me in pre-cooking beans to freeze for my OAMC meals plus have small amounts for my mini meals for lunches. I wanted to share a few tips with you...
- The quickest way to cook bean and not have to babysit them is to use a crockpot
- One bag 16 oz = 3 regular (15 oz) cans of beans = (1 2/3 cup per ziplock bag total of 3 bags)
- Rise under water in a strainer toss broken or yucky ones
- Pour into crockpot then cover with with enough water to be 2-3 inches over the top soak overnight pour liquid out rise and pour fresh into pot and return beans
- Cook in crockpot for 6-8 hours on low until bite tender.
- Drain beans and allow to cool
- Pour 1 2/3 per ziplock seal remove excess air /dated & labeled freeze flat
If you are going to be eating alot of beans do several bags at a time:) to save time/money/free's up the crockpot for later use...